Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sunday Sentence: Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter


Simply put, the best sentence(s) I've read this past week, presented to you out of context and without commentary.




"Oh Maria..." I cried.  "I'm sorry."  And I was clearly not the first brute to cry in her presence, either, because she knew just what was needed, unbuttoning the top of her blue dress and putting my head between her breasts, whispering, "Shh, Wisconsin, shh," her skin so soft and butter-sweet, so wet with my tears that I cried harder and she said, "Shh, Wisconsin," and I buried my face between those breasts as if her skin were my home, as if Wisconsin lay there, and to this day, it is the greatest place I have ever been, that narrow ribbed valley between those lovely hills.

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter



2 comments:

  1. I bought this book a few months ago, and now it's sitting on my shelf. I love when an author can weave so many different stories together so effortlessly. Thanks for the review, I have to put this one higher on my shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A romantic and elegantly written story, Beautiful Ruins weaves together the lives of its central characters with an expert hand, handling issues of addiction, the madness and loyalty in true love and finding your life story with unexpected poignancy. Would highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete