Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Trailer Park Tuesday: Three Scenarios in Which Hana Sasaki Grows a Tail by Kelly Luce


Welcome to Trailer Park Tuesday, a showcase of new book trailers and, in a few cases, previews of book-related movies.





"The year we lived in Japan, the volcano at the edge of town hiccuped, covering everything in six inches of heavy, golden dust.  No one could remember anything like it.  Children poured outside to play wearing bathing suits and surgical masks.  Housewives vacuumed the street." That's the first, but not the last, of the surreal images from Kelly Luce's Three Scenarios in Which Hana Sasaki Grows a Tail we hear about--and see in animated sand--in this short video promoting the story collection.  In this trailer, we also meet a toaster which predicts how people will die, and we step into the shower with the titular Hana Sasaki as she shampoos her new tail (which is "thin, dark gray when wet, and the hair at the base rises out slightly from her back before wilting and following the curve of her bottom").  Luce's debut is being published by the new small press A Strange Object based in "keeping-it-weird" Austin, Texas.  They're dedicated to publishing "surprising, wild-hearted fiction."  Golden ash, oracular kitchen appliances, tail-sprouting girls: yep, I think Luce's stories are a perfect fit for that mission statement.  This collection of ten stories is the first (and so far, only) book published by A Strange Object.  I'm encouraging everyone to support this new publisher.  I mean, when was the last time you took a chance on a brave, young upstart?  I have a copy of Three Scenarios in Which Hana Sasaki Grows a Tail sitting high atop my ever-growing stack of To-Be-Read Books (aka Mt. NeveRest) and I'm impatient to clear enough time on my schedule to settle in with this fiction.  Until then, though, I think I'll keep a wary distance from my toaster.


No comments:

Post a Comment