Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tuesday Tune: "Come Fly Away" by Jeremy Fisher

I've been a fan of Canadian popster Jeremy Fisher ever since the day I heard "Scar That Never Heals" zydeco-bopping from my car stereo speakers and thought, "Oh cool, a new Paul Simon song."

It's true that Fisher could be a clone of Mr. Graceland, from the opening "She's my polyrhythm" right down to the Sandinista-cool chorus of "She runs guns, everyone wants guns."  But a second-generation Paul Simon is not a bad thing, as far as my ears are concerned.

"Come Fly Away" from his recent Flood album doesn't have the zippy lyrical punch of "Scar That Never Heals," but there's still an infectious ukulele drive to the tune that makes it a prime candidate to show up someday soon as the background music in a TV commercial for JetBlue or the next line of Ford Escapes.
Come fly away
Through the clouds into the sun
Far away from everyone
Come fly away
When we get above the rain
They are both sunny days

Fisher is also earning a reputation for his DIY music videos, like "Scar That Never Heals" and the one for "Shine a Little Light" which he made with his iPhone for around $20.  "Come Fly Away" continues that tradition with one of the best uses of a Lite-Brite I've seen since the day in 1970 when, up in my bedroom, I made a narrative diorama of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" out of the little plastic pegs.  I especially like the climax of "Come Fly Away" when the Lite-Brite explodes into movement at the 2:30 mark and the pegs start popping off the board, as if they couldn't contain themselves with all the joy of Fisher's song.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

If you'd like to purchase "Come Fly Away" from Amazon, CLICK HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment