Sunday, November 22, 2015

Sunday Sentence: People Like You by Margaret Malone


Simply put, the best sentence(s) I’ve read this past week, presented out of context and without commentary.



He reached out to shake her hand with his free hand and for a moment the three of us formed a human chain, like together we might break out into song to oppose senseless killings or an oppressive regime; but what had happened to us wasn’t anything like that: it was only a miscarriage, the single quiet slipping away of something that wasn’t quite something enough yet.

“Welcome to Samsara” from People Like You by Margaret Malone


2 comments:

  1. This is why Sunday Sentence is the best. Because that is a sentence that instantly requires me to read the entire book, and I otherwise wouldn't have picked that up to read it, and that's what this is all about. You, sir, provide one hell of a service to the public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best. Comment. Ever.
      Thanks for saying this, Matt. If I can get just one person to buy Margaret's amazing book, then I'll be happy. I hope you enjoy ALL the sentences in those short stories as much as I did.

      Delete